Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Who should be screened for ADHD?
Individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) usually have ongoing patterns of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity. The number of symptoms and severity may vary from child to child. Some of these symptoms may include the following:
- Fails to give close attention to details
- Makes careless mistakes in schoolwork or during other activities
- has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
- Does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
- Does not follow through on instructions
- Fails to finish schoolwork
- Has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
- Avoids, dislikes or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (e.g. schoolwork or homework)
- Loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g. school materials, pencils, ooks)
- Easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
Hyperactive / Impulsive Symptoms
- Fidgets with or taps hands or feet or squirms in seat
- Leaves seat in situation when remaining seated is expected
- Runs about or climbs in situations when it is inappropriate
- “On the Go”
- Acts as if “driven by a motor”
- Talks excessively
- Blurts out an answer before a question has been completed
- Has difficulty waiting his or her turn (e.g. while waiting in line)
- Interrupts or intrudes on others
Why should your child receive testing and evaluation?
Studies have shown that when children are diagnosed with early screening and intervention, you can provide the best outcomes. They psychological evaluation is the first step in understanding the symptoms and guiding the right treatment (e.g. medication, behavioral therapy or both). Should your child be determined to have ADHD, this diagnosis may be able to assist your child in receiving access to specific benefits (e.g. social security benefits, school 504 or IEP etc.).
What to expect from an autism screening?
Regardless of the results, your child is and will be the same child as before the diagnosis.
13241 Bartram Park Blvd #209 Jacksonville, FL 32258