Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
We are here to assist you
To schedule an appointment or ask any questions contact us at one of the four options below.
We offer a no-cost evaluation that may determine if your child is showing signs of Autism. Click below to begin the brief M-Chat Screening.
Who should be screened for Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Individual with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) usually have difficulties in the two areas below. However, autism is a spectrum of symptoms, meaning that every child with autism is different. The number of symptoms and severity may vary from child to child.
Social Interaction and Communication
- Avoidance of eye contact
- Difficulties with gestures and facial expressions
- Concerns with peer relations and preference for solitude
- Social/Emotional reciprocity (e.g. sharing emotions, comforting someone when sad, invading others personal space)
- Delay or lack of spoken language
- Repeating words or phrases (echolalia)
- Problems initiating and keeping a conversation
- Stereotyped and/or repetitive use of language
- Lack of make-believe and/or social imitative play
Restrictive, Repetitive & Sterotyped Patterns of Behavior
- Restricted interest (e.g. airplanes, TV shows, math, etc.)
- Resistance to minor changes in routines or surroundings
- Stereotyped or repetitive behaviors (e.g. flapping, rocking, spinning, hand postures, etc.)
- Persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
- Over sensitive to the environment (unusual and intense reactions to sounds, smells, tastes, textures, lights and/or colors)
- Under sensitive (e.g. “in own world”)
Why should your child receive testing and evaluation?
Studies have shown that when children are diagnosed with early screening and intervention, you can provide the best outcomes. They psychological evaluation is the first step in understanding the symptoms and guiding the right treatment. Should your child be determined to have ASD, this diagnosis may be able to assist your child in receiving access to autism specific treatments (e.g. speech and occupational therapy, social security benefits, school services, etc.). An autism evaluation is required by most insurances to approve Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) services, the most effective treatment for autism.
What to expect from an autism screening?
Regardless of the results, your child is and will be the same child as before the diagnosis.
13241 Bartram Park Blvd #209 Jacksonville, FL 32258